Filed Under (Germany 2009 - Student Teaching) by dutchmonkey on 10-02-2009

I know it has been a while since I have updated.  I get to find out how many people actually read my blog when I don’t write it because everyone suddenly wonders where I am!  I’m doing fine, it took me a couple of days to get over my nasty cold/flu thing.  I went home from school after first block on Wednesday last week with a fever.  But after a good LONG nap I was better.

Skiing was awesome!  It was so much fun.  It wasn’t the best skiing of my life, it was foggy and the snow was ever so slightly frosty on top.  But I had a great time.  I spent my entire day on the same run becuase I was teaching someone else how to ski.  It was her first time skiing and I was really the only person patient enough to teach.  We had fun even if I did spend most of the day standing still.  Hopefully I’ll get to go again soon.

The trip down was a true adventure.  We were driving a rented car and we got into a very small accident on the Autobahn…oops!  It wasn’t a big deal, our driver simply rear ended the car in front of us (who had slowed down, almost to stop for no reason by the way!).  There was hardly a scratch oh the other car but the front grill of our rental was busted up pretty good.  Luckily there was no serious damage and no injuries.  We did have to wait for the German police though and it added an additional hour to our drive.

Then we got a little lost.  In an effort to avoid traffic delays, we took a route suggested to us by a teacher at the high school.  So we stopped relying on the GPS…and then we didn’t know exactly where we were.  It was a little nerve racking when we were stopped at what was apparently the Austrian border.  But we made it alright.  The problem arose when we couldn’t find the hostel.  No one printed a map of the town or where the hostel was, the GPS could not find the street that was listed in the address and the phone number we had did not work.  So, we drove around Garmisch for a while trying to figure out what to do.  We were a lot later getting into town than we intended; it was dark and cold and everything was closed.  We finally decided to just stop wherever we could get a place to sleep.  We tried the Best Western but they were full so we ended up driving up to the Edelweiss and getting a room with two Queen beds for $140.  Thank goodness, because we were exhausted!!!  We crashed around 1:30am.

We got up and checked out because the room was only available for one night.  Then we loaded up in the car and went skiing!  I wish we had gotten up earlier so we could have had more ski time.  By the time we got there and rented skis and got to the top of the mountain, we had wasted a good part of the morning.  But we had a great time all the same.  We met up at the lodge in the afternoon for some good German beer (or in my case, wine with mineral water) and some pomme fries.  Then we headed out again.  We decided to take our last run together.  But when we got to the top and got off the lift we were a little nervous.  The mist had gotten even worse and you could hardly see!  We thought we’d be ok so we headed down but we had hardly gone 50 metres before the mist completely descended upon us.  I thought I was going to ski right off the mountain!  Luckily I knew the slope by heart and knew what to expect but it was a little nerve racking.

We were so cold and exhausted by the end of the afternoon.  We drove back to Edelweiss and checked into the only thing they had available, a “Rustic Cabin” for $57.  It was small but it had bunkbeds and heat and it was clean.  There was no bathroom, just a bathhouse that was a two minute walk from the door (in the snow).  So the girls and I just headed straight there and took LONG, HOT showers and got dressed.

At this point was when I started not feeling well.  I had not been able to get warm since we left the slopes, until I got in the shower.  I was weak and tired and felt like I was going to pass out.  I think I had gotten myself dehydrated.  The shower really helped and I thought I was up for going out on the town like we had planned but I crashed when I reached the cabin again.  But food had to be gotten so I dragged myself out of bed.

We got food at a really cute little Greek restaurant.  They even had a selection of food I could eat (which is more than I can say form most German places)!  After I ate, I felt a ton better.  Then we made our way to a bar we had noticed on the drive.  It apparently was THE place to be if you were in your 20’s and 30’s.  I felt so great when I walked in!  I really needed somewhere fun and young.  The music was great, it was really crowed and overpriced but the drinks were really good.  We had a ball!

Anyway, we slept well and headed back the next morning, waaay too early.  I slept pretty much the whole way back plus went straight to bed when I got home.  But that was my skiing weekend.  Which was good because then I began the worst week I’ve had in a very long time.  Again, I’m not going into it; I’m just glad it’s over.  I stayed home this past weekend to get some work done and relax.  It was a good thing!  I finally got to sleep in and get over the tail end of my cold.  Plus, I talked to dad and did laundry.

So here I am.  I taught Drama this morning and was observed.  That went pretty well and now I’m off to begin crew training for Guys and Dolls.  So I think I’m all caught up now!  Hope that helps!



CJ Bowen on 15 February, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

Cool sounded like fun … Btw Happy Valentines day … a little late LOL. Don’t get sick while your away too much

tony p on 15 February, 2009 at 4:20 pm #

Thanks for the play by play, Dutch! Looks like you’re having a great time!

You teach drama? Do you teach a particular style or method of acting?

Granny Jo on 20 February, 2009 at 4:51 pm #

Great to hear from you again. I was concerned. Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain… or in the snow. Remember #1 of Granny’s life rules “Sit in silence for just 10 min each day . Talk to God about what is going on in your life.” Love ya Granny

Post a Comment

Powered by WP Hashcash