Solo backpacking in Europe before Grad School takes over my life

Barcelona and Beyond

No I do not want a €5 massage

Yesterday was spent mostly on the beach in Barcelona.  I went with this one guy I had met the night before and a couple other people.  It was really fun, and the sun was out most of the time.  Now imagine you´re relaxing at the beach tanning or trying to sleep.  Now imagine asian women with mickey moust tshirts coming up to you every 3 minutes asking if you want a massage for €5.  Then a guy comes around asking if you want any temporary tattoos.  Then another guy comes and tries to sell you beer or soda.  You get the idea.  It was still a fun time, but the water was extremely cold.  I don´t have many pictures of the beach because it was topless and I don´t think you are allowed to take pictures.  I pretty much relaxed the rest of the night since I had an 8 am train to Sevilla this morning.

I took the high speed train this morning first to Madrid and thn to Sevilla.  Luckily I can atually understand some Spanish because as we were pulling into the Madrid station, they mentioned that the train was having some problems and we had to switch trains if we were going to Cordoba or Sevilla.  I got into Sevilla around 2:30 his afternoon and I missed the hostel because I was on the opposite side of the street.  I found someone who was able to call the hostel for me and I finally got checked in.  I really like this hostel because it feels much more relaxed.  Kabul (in barcelona) was like a frat party and was a great way to get into the swing of things, but I still need to recover from jet lag so this will be a nice time to catch up on sleep.  This place has free internet as well, and I think I´ll actally be able to upload some pictures later tonight.  I´m going to go make something to eat now, so I´ll try to post some pictures either tonight or tomorrow.

Posted by offhegoes03 on 06-14-2008 at 02:06 pm
Posted in Spain

12 Comments »

1. Kabul? I didn’t know Kabul was on your schedule. That was probably best not to tell your mother about before you left. What was it like?

Comment by Pat — Saturday, 14 June, 2008 @ 3:03 pm
  2. Did anyone on the beach offer you a cheap towel?

Comment by Courtney — Saturday, 14 June, 2008 @ 4:04 pm
  3. And I am very impressed that you know enough Spanish to switch trains. After 6 years of Spanish class I still do not think I would have figured that one out!

Comment by Courtney — Saturday, 14 June, 2008 @ 4:07 pm
  4. I bet it must have been hell on that beach with all those interuptions and half naked people all around… don’t worry son, Bethany is just around the corner.

Comment by Pops — Saturday, 14 June, 2008 @ 4:25 pm
  5. So, did you get a c5 massage? Beach sounds like fun, and we look forward to seeing your pictures! All is well here at home.

Comment by Momma — Saturday, 14 June, 2008 @ 4:29 pm
  6. Where is your adventurous spirit? A topless beach, massage, beer, and tatoos all in the same place! Am looking forward to pictures of your travels.

Comment by Aunt Nancy — Saturday, 14 June, 2008 @ 6:48 pm
  7. I would think a topless beach would be exactly the place to take photos. However, usually on topless beaches, the topless people are the ones who should be covered up.

Comment by Aunt Trish — Saturday, 14 June, 2008 @ 6:49 pm
  8. I agree, Trish. This uncle is very disappointed in him.

Comment by Brian — Saturday, 14 June, 2008 @ 9:08 pm
  9. Pat, you´ve heard of kabul? It was actually very clean and I was in a smaller room, so I didn´t have too many problems.

Courtney, that was one thing they were not selling. Probably the only thing they weren´t selling along the beach.

Mom, no I did not, but the guy I was with did and he said it was pretty good.

Trish, you are absolutely correct. Not many people were topless at all, but the ones that were topless were the ones you wish covered up.

Brian, see the above comment!

Comment by cehen2 — Sunday, 15 June, 2008 @ 8:39 am
  10. This sounds a bit like the Bahamas where you can get your “sexy hair” braided every 10 seconds. Maybe you need to make a sign before you hit the next beach. And please update us on the towel saga–did you find one?????

Comment by Jen — Monday, 16 June, 2008 @ 1:36 pm
  11. did you take your speedo? Is that what everyone over there wears anyhow?

I am impressed that your spanish is serving you so well.

Comment by terry — Tuesday, 17 June, 2008 @ 2:18 am
  12. Chris, Of course I have heard of Kabul. I just didn’t know you were going to the middle east.

Comment by Pat — Wednesday, 18 June, 2008 @ 8:17 pm