CB's Pics from Syria - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Travel Photos & Videos!
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Travel Photos & Videos! Misc. photos of Tpunks. D'oh!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #21
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

those are some badass pics man! BADASS.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #22
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

I've been trying to post all day, but my work's network has been sucking (plus I was watching Cars on my comp since nobody else was there).

AMAZING. I can't wait to go! You are a mighty photographer, my friend. Mighty indeed.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #23
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

Wow, scrap Bolivia for next year....I want to do the middle east! What camera do you use?
maracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #24
millmuff
TPunk Recognized

Just another place I've never thought of going but get interest in after someone sheds some light.

Pics look great man...keep us updated.
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #25
Traveler
Members

Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler

Really cool shots. I want to go see some of the same things you saw, someday.
Looks like you did a lot and had fun.

-Rob
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #26
dug
T-PUNK RANGER

Those pictures look great :Q

what camera are you using?

also, mind elaborating on your trip as a whole a little more? Where have you been, where are you going. Also, how did you manage to get to palmyra, that looks smack in the middle of no-where o_o
dug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:55 AM   #27
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

There are buses that go to Palmyra, it's quite an important spot in Syria... and very touristy (even though there are not as many tourists as in Paris...) almost everyone that goes to visit Syria goes to Palmyra. It's a MUST, really. That place is awesome!! It's right outside a city that has all sorts of hotels and facilities.
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:42 AM   #28
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Nice photos, Jason! You definitely brought back some memories...especially of the funerary towers in Palmyra...damn. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

And I agree with Jason: Syria is completely safe for Americans. As I've told people over and over, all the Syrians I met said the same thing: "We hate George Bush, but we love Americans!"

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #29
zmsmith5
TPunk Recognized

hey CB,

i know i love to eat exotic stuff when im traveling so im wondering how the camel tasted.

also i love the story about Kurds, it totally made my day
In various stages of planning: Whistler, BC; Caribbean; NZ/OZ; R-T-W for a year!
zmsmith5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #30
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by maracle View Post
Wow, scrap Bolivia for next year....I want to do the middle east! What camera do you use?
I use an Olypmus D-535 camera... its a pretty old camera, but still somewhat reliable... and has great colour capture. It's only 3.2 megapixel
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #31
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Hey guys... I am glad that my pics are making you all want to go to Syria. It's seriously a great place (unless you're a human rights activist), and great value for money... but most importantly its a different world, and well out of out Western comfort zone.

zmsmith- camel tasted like tasty beef/chicken. Meat all tastes around the same once you season it anyway... and it was goooood.

Mike- yeah the Valley of the Tombs was unbelievable.

And thanks everyone, I'm happy that everyone likes the pics. I'll put more up tomorrow... actually soon, I'll start a new thread for the Turkey pics... I have some great shots of Istanbul as well.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 07-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #32
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Okay.... here is Damascus:

Nighttime in the New City of Damascus... only a short walk from the old city. Al-Haramain hotel is located near here.... The big construction building to the leff, I later found out, has been going on since 1960s!

A backalley in the biblical old city of Damascus

A Spartan breakfast at Al-Haramain hotel... they give you fresh bread too, which you dip in all this stuff.

There are 3 minarets of the Great Mosque. This is the 2nd one... it is the Minaret of Jesus. And when the end days are near, say the locals, Jesus will reappear to mankind on TOP of this tower.

This is the view that St. Paul had before escaping in a basket down the city wall... this exact view and these exact stones.

A cup of tea behind the Ummayad mosque... they pour good tea here! I had like, 6 cups. No Lipton tea bullshit... which (surprisingly) I got a lot in Syria!

Old 07-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #33
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Ah! this last picture made me smile!! God, I miss Syria!! You get at least two of these teacups in every shop you go!! Walking around the Souk is just fantastic!! I'll have to talk my boyfriend into going back to Damascus someday.... I really love it, and I know they've come a long way in the last 10 years (in 1996 you needed a government permit to have a fax machine in your house!!), but I doubt it'd be easy for a girl to travel around on her own ust yet...
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote